Baking intimidates me. Maybe it’s because there are usually so many steps, and taking a short-cut, or getting distracting and missing one has some pretty catastrophic results. My tasty failures include a Nutella pound cake that wouldn’t part from its loaf pan, and a chocolate bundt cake that overflowed from the confines of the pan into the oven. Oops. That recipe was written for a 14-cup bundt pan, and mine was “close enough.”
I’ve learned from these mistakes though, and decided to put my proverbial toes back in the baking waters via the world of “cupcaking.” Since Avery doesn’t eat sweets, there are just two of us to eat my creations. Obviously, cupcakes are the perfect dessert for two. Why? Well, because you can easily unload half a batch to co-workers at the office, and that is somehow way more appealing than a half-eaten cake. They also travel easily and let’s face it, they are cute. So, it’s only logical that for the Ace of Cakes Challenge that I make some cupcakes, right?
Yesterday, I tackled Southern Living’s Key Lime Cupcake Pies. And guess what? I remembered to spray the cupcake liners, just as the recipe directs. The result? A delicious cupcake that pleased both my palette and my eyes. Yeah!
Recipe note: I did use low-fat cream cheese to cut a few calories. I also didn't buy enough limes, which meant I didn't have enough lime juice. Unfortunately, Greg was mowing and Avery was napping, so I had to sub in a little lemon juice. When I mentioned this to Greg later, he said that I should have used margarita mix instead of lemon juice. It was such a brilliant idea I wished I'd thought of it myself, and done it! My substitutions had no ill effect on this recipe, so feel free to make the same ones yourself, but definitely remember that margarita mix tip if you run out of limes, or just want to run out on purpose!
Now I know you are wondering….how do Key Lime Cupcake Pies fit my personality? Well, I think they represent my resilience, my willingness to try new things, and my health consciousness. They are also super witty and very smart, too ;)
I’ve learned from these mistakes though, and decided to put my proverbial toes back in the baking waters via the world of “cupcaking.” Since Avery doesn’t eat sweets, there are just two of us to eat my creations. Obviously, cupcakes are the perfect dessert for two. Why? Well, because you can easily unload half a batch to co-workers at the office, and that is somehow way more appealing than a half-eaten cake. They also travel easily and let’s face it, they are cute. So, it’s only logical that for the Ace of Cakes Challenge that I make some cupcakes, right?
Yesterday, I tackled Southern Living’s Key Lime Cupcake Pies. And guess what? I remembered to spray the cupcake liners, just as the recipe directs. The result? A delicious cupcake that pleased both my palette and my eyes. Yeah!
Recipe note: I did use low-fat cream cheese to cut a few calories. I also didn't buy enough limes, which meant I didn't have enough lime juice. Unfortunately, Greg was mowing and Avery was napping, so I had to sub in a little lemon juice. When I mentioned this to Greg later, he said that I should have used margarita mix instead of lemon juice. It was such a brilliant idea I wished I'd thought of it myself, and done it! My substitutions had no ill effect on this recipe, so feel free to make the same ones yourself, but definitely remember that margarita mix tip if you run out of limes, or just want to run out on purpose!
Now I know you are wondering….how do Key Lime Cupcake Pies fit my personality? Well, I think they represent my resilience, my willingness to try new things, and my health consciousness. They are also super witty and very smart, too ;)
This looks delicious! Can't wait to try.
ReplyDelete