Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Catching Up: Giada BeKiddingme’s April Results

So sorry for the delay in posting my April cooking challenge results. It has been crazy at the BeKiddingme household lately. We moved into a new place last week and while that didn’t stop me from completing the challenges, it did manage to keep me from finding the time to tell you about them. But never fear—our Internet connection is now back up and running and I am slowly digging myself out of boxes in the kitchen so I will be back in business in no time!

I did another two for one in the interest of saving time this month: A lemony seafood risotto with shrimp and scallops paired with Shingleback sparkling shiraz. I really thought I trumped Betty Focker on the BSD front until I got a call from her after her trip to Total Wine. Oh well! At least I managed to find a sparkling red, although I must agree with Betty that I prefer a nice prosecco to the shiraz, especially this time of year. The Shingleback was different and fun, but I doubt I’d shell out $20 again for another bottle. I actually liked it better the second day when it was still just a bit bubbly. But I am classy like that!

Moving on to the risotto, I was anxious to use the homemade seafood stock I had in my freezer following March’s challenge, so I carefully selected a seafood risotto recipe that was highly rated on allrecipes.com. It turned out quite well for a first try, although I did end up adding more stock than the recipe called for and cooking it a bit longer than suggested. While I wouldn’t necessarily have plated and served it to Gordon Ramsay , the hubs was quite impressed and the plates were both very empty at the end of the meal.

I have a boatload of leftover Arborio rice in my new pantry and am dying to try Betty’s risotto so stay tuned for an update on my next foray into risotto-land! I mean when you put bacon in it how could it go wrong?

Here are some risotto photos (ba dump ump) including a picture of my “helper”:


1 comment:

  1. Your helper totally stole the spotlight on this post. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete