I would have put up this post last night, had I realized it was May 31, but somehow, I was in a Memorial Day weekend enduced fog! How is it June 1 already? Time for Betty and Giada to roll out some new June challenges!
Before I get to that, I need to wrap up May. I decided to make a Cooking Light Recipe from my 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute cook book, and though my hopes were high, the recipe was kind of a bust, until you get to the nutritional info.
Before I get to that, I need to wrap up May. I decided to make a Cooking Light Recipe from my 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute cook book, and though my hopes were high, the recipe was kind of a bust, until you get to the nutritional info.
Athenian Flounder:
2 flounder fillets ($6.99 for 2 servings of frozen fillets)
Greek Seasoning (pantry staple)
1/2 a package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry ($0.75 for the whole box)
1 plum tomatoes, diced ($0.41)
1/2 package of feta cheese ($2.29 for the whole package)
1 cup Quinoa (7.5 servings in a whole box for $5.39)
Directions:
Coat the flounder in the Greek seasoning, then lightly saute the flounder fillets in a non-stick pan coated with cooking spray, turning once. Once the fillets are cooked through, top with the spinach, tomato and feta and turn off the heat. Serve with a side of Quinoa cooked according to the package directions.
This recipe was super healthy with the lean fish, spinach, and the 100% whole grain Quinoa, but it was a little lacking in flavor for me. The only reason I would make it again? The nutrition info. The flounder had 147 calories per serving and 3.1 fat grams with 25.3 grams of protein. The Quinoa added another 172 calories, 2.8 fat grams, and 6 grams of protein. So yeah, a whole dinner for under 325 calories and 6 grams of fat? I can give up a wee bit of flavor for a meal with those stats.
If I were to adapt this recipe to serve our family of 3, all I would need to do is buy a bag of Goldfish crackers and add $1.66 to the cost of the meal. Avery doesn't exactly try a lot of new things these days!
No comments:
Post a Comment