Thursday, March 25, 2010

Olive's March Challenge Results

OK, I am not a master chef so everyone needs to be patient with me.


The Crock Pot and Gadget Challenge Results

I made some of the most yummiest caramel and used my apple cutter to serve apples with the dip.
The recipe I used was from the Crock pot Lady's blog (she is my hero).

The simple recipe is:

One crock pot
One can of sweetened condensed milk
Water

-Take the label off the can of milk.
-Put can in crock pot (I usually put a plate on the bottom of the crock pot then put the can on the plate to avoid rust rings).
-Fill the crock pot with enough water to cover the can.
-Cook on high for 8 hours.
-LET CAN COOL before touching it.
-Open can and scoop out the yummy beautiful creamy caramel.

I made the dip for my Baby Girl's 4th birthday party. The caramel is very thick so I mixed it with whip cream to make it more dippable for little ones. Since the hubby and I went to the Georgia mountains for Valentine's Day and picked up a huge bag of Pink Lady Apples, I used them to serve with the carmel. I used an old apple cutter (read: gadget) that I never use to make equal portioned apple slices. Then I slices up some strawberries and added them as well. Of course Baby Girl had to test it out before the party. The enormous plate of fruit was completely empty at the end of the party. I think every one else really liked it too.


























The Grilling Challenge Results


I decided that I would attempt to grill some steak. I told the hubby to pick up a cheaper cut of steak, in case (read: when) I ruin it with my mad cooking skillz. I went on-line and found an easy recipe which also make a sauce (I LOVE sauces).


Grill Steak Recipe:

















2 lbs steak
4 tbls lightly cracker black peppercorn
2 tbls kosher salt
3 tbls EVOO
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tbls minced garlic
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar


-Lightly tenderize the meat with a mallet (or a grilling spatula) or get your sous chef to do it.















-Sprinkle the steak with the pepper and salt and press into the steak with your hand. (the recipe says to put the steak in the fridge for 4-8 hours to marinate..with salt and pepper...it made no sense to me so I did not do it).
-In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add the EVOO and onions and lightly saute until the onions are caramelized
-Add the garlic and cook until garlic begins to turn brown.
-Deglaze with wine and vinegar.
-Add sugar and let simmer and reduce for 30 min until mixture reduces to 3/4 cup (or just after 30 min because I am not going to actually measure the mixture)
-Strain the mixture and return the sauce to the heat for 5 more minutes or until a thick syrup is created. (My sauce did not get very thick and I also ate the steak with the strained onions because I love caramelized onions with red meat).
-Preheat the grill on high heat.
-Place steak on hot grill and cook for 5 min on each side.
-Remove steaks and let rest for 3-4 min.

Now the recipe does not state to TURN DOWN THE GRILL...so note to self: TURN DOWN THE GRILL.


So after 5 min when I went to flip the steak, I realized that the steak was fully cooked and about to burn.


I had also made my favorite asparagus dish as well just to round out the meal. While I was setting the table and the kids were getting out of the tub, my 6 yr old yelled "MOMMY, DINNER SMELLS SO DELICIOUS!"

















The steak and sauce was actually really good and the caramelized onions were super.

No comments:

Post a Comment